Well, Darlin’, I know you’re gearing up for the holidays just like me. And finding all sorts of ways to dazzle your family and friends with extra-special hand-crafted gifts, the kind that don’t cost a small fortune to give. (Stuck for ideas? Be sure to check out my earlier Famous Frugalista blog posts for super gift ideas.)
While I love those home-made gifts just as much as you do, there are some things that are just too dang hard to make yourself. I mean, really, when’s the last time you tried to build your own microwave, for heaven’s sake? Sometimes there’s no choice but to shell out the cash for what you need.
The good news is that December is a “Best Time to Buy” month for plenty of items. Make that list, check it twice, then shop around and keep your eyes peeled for bargains, Cupcake!
Here’s a quick list of goodies that you won’t have to pay full price for this month:
• Toys (Some insist the week before Christmas is when you’ll find the biggest discounts. Others say in the first couple of weeks of the month. Either way — you’ll get some deals. Retailers want to move ’em out NOW.)
• Tools — and here’s a website, ToolBarn.com, to check for bargains on hand tools, power tools, even air tools and accessories for all sorts. And my favorite — clearance items. It’s a treasure hunt and you never know what you’ll find. Woo Hoo! I love a great deal!
• Cars — If you’re in the market for a new car, this month is the time to scope out the best deals. Why? Dealers don’t want to have “leftover inventory” (2011 model year vehicles) on their lots come Jan. 1. Manufacturers are offering year-end dealer incentives and sales people are scrambling to meet their yearly sales quotas. Dealers and their sales staff have bills to pay, just like you, so they’re a lot more willing to wheel and deal right now. And this means price cuts and better deals for you!
Here’s a tip I got straight from a retired car salesman. If you want the biggest discount, the best days to shop are December 21, 24, 28 and 31. And take delivery off the lot, instead of doing a special order.
© The Famous Frugalista 2011
- Don’t Get Taken For A Ride: Guide To Holiday Shopping In December (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- DIY Gift – Ooh La La! Lemon Body Scrub (thefamousfrugalista.wordpress.com)
- Do-It-Yourself Kahlua (thefamousfrugalista.wordpress.com)
- A Christmas Thank You Letter to Treasure (thefamousfrugalista.wordpress.com)